Not Too Big, Not Too Small, But Just Right
November 2nd, 2021
Not Too Big, Not Too Small, But Just Right: Finding the Perfect Self-Storage Storage Unit
Self-storage units provide a convenient economic storage option when you're relocating, traveling, need somewhere for seasonal storage, or you have just watched Marie Kondo and have been bit by the decluttering bug. No matter how small your possessions may seem, there is a storage unit out there with your name on it.
The self-storage industry is fast rising, and with it, a slew of prospective customers who aren't really sure how to determine the type and size of self-storage unit that will best suit their needs. In addition to personal storage, there has been a steady rise in business storage.
Picking The Right Storage Unit For You
While it may seem daunting to determine the proper storage unit for you, it doesn't have to be. Choosing the most efficient unit really boils down to what you're storing, which will ultimately determine the size as well.
When trying to choose the unit, you have a few things to consider. According to Life Storage, you must first determine if you intend to store any vehicles. Then decide whether it will be long or short term, or even indefinitely. Most importantly, ask yourself how frequently you plan to rotate items in and out of the unit. If the unit will be utilized for business storage, then seriously consider if you will need more space in the event you start housing more inventory.
Another factor to consider is the time frame. You can have long or short-term storage. The short term is one to two months, and the long term is over three months. This is vital as the length of time can help to shape your choice as longer storages require more upkeep and attention to temperature.
Types Of Storage Units:
Storage Units can be indoor, outdoor, climate-controlled, and even customized to accommodate hobbies or special interests.
● Indoor VS. Outdoor Units - Many will wrongly assume that outdoor storage units do not have a door and indoors do. In actuality, both units have doors but are accessed differently. Outdoor units are obviously outside in plain sight and neat rows. To enter, you simply open your personal unit with the designated key.
● Indoor Self Storage - However, for indoor units, they are housed inside a building that you must first enter before gaining access to your own storage facility. The primary benefit of an indoor self-storage space is that weather never proves to be a problem. If, at a whim, you choose to reorganize or move items, you will never be at the mercy of the elements or hindered by inclement weather. Your items are also less susceptible to pests when you opt for an indoor unit. Most importantly, all indoor storage areas have some rudimentary level of climate control.
● Outdoor Self Storage - An outdoor unit is also not without its benefits. Outdoor self-storage offers the significant advantage of allotting owners the ability to drive right up to the door of their storage unit. This is incredibly convenient as it prevents you from making multiple trips going back and forth between your vehicle and the unit, which will save you time, energy, and if you have hired a moving truck, money as they usually charge by the hour.
● Climate Controlled Self Storage - According to Moving.com, climate-controlled storage, often referred to as temperature-controlled storage, is a specific storage unit uniquely designed to maintain constant humidity levels and temperatures. Typically, the temperature will stay unmoved at between 55 degrees and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Climate controlled storage is usually associated with indoor storage units. On rare occasions, though, you will find outdoor storage units that have climate control options. Ask your storage facility if this option is available.
Climate controlled storage units are ideal for storing furniture (anything made of or containing wood, metal, wicker, leather, or upholstery), and all other items manufactured with the above-mentioned materials. Electronics, Media (DVDs, videos, vinyl records, etc.), clothing (lace or leather if it will be stored in bags), vital documents, antiques, wine, medical supplies and medications, and photographs.
All these items are incredibly vulnerable to temperature and humidity. Both of these factors are crucial components in optimizing the climate in any space because they meld together to form moisture. The more heat you have, the more humidity you create, eventually leading to increased moisture. On the other hand, less humidity means less heat in the air which is equally as detrimental. Maintaining the optimum balance of temperature and humidity guarantees that excessive moisture can't form, and your items will stay protected.
These effects of a humidity imbalance are pronounced, especially in wood, which, when exposed to moisture, rapidly becomes warped, cracked, or rotted.
Self Storage Unit Size
Maybe the most apparent consideration apart from storage unit type is storage unit size. When picking a storage unit, the rule of thumb is that your selection should be somewhat bigger than what you may need. Doing this leaves room for any possible miscalculations of your items, and it ensures you have additional storage space in the event you need to store more items.
Self-storage units come in 7 standard sizes. All storage companies may not carry all sizes but will have a good mix of the various dimensions to choose from.
● 5×5 - This compact space is the smallest storage unit and is roughly the size of the average household closet. This option is ideal when you're decluttering or need seasonal storage. It easily holds several totes or moving boxes, small chairs, clothes, two small pieces of furniture, and a chest of drawers.
● 5'×10' - This is the second smallest storage unit and is about the size of a walk-in closet. This size has proven perfect for persons whose living spaces are too small to house all their furniture comfortably. It fits up to 15 moving boxes or totes, up to 2 large pieces of furniture, and yard equipment. This size can comfortably hold a king-sized bed.
● 5'×15' - This storage unit is estimated to be 30% bigger than the 5'x10' predecessor. This storage unit can fit the furnishings of a full-sized bedroom, up to 15 moving totes or boxes, and even a motorcycle.
● 10'×10' - This is the most popular storage unit due to its versatility. It is roughly a medium-sized space amounting to an estimated one-hundred square feet. This equates to about half the size of the average garage. You can effortlessly store all the contents of a small two-bedroom apartment, up to 20 moving boxes and totes, and major appliances.
● 10'×15' - This unit is pretty big and can store all the contents of a two-bedroom home, including sizable items such as furniture, appliances, and even a piano.
● 10'×20' - The second-largest storage unit is the 10'x20′ and is estimated to be the size of a one-car garage. This unit can accommodate all the furnishings and major appliances of a three-bedroom house. It can also house some midsize and compact cars as well as inventory for a small or medium sized business.
● 10'×30' - The largest residential self-storage unit available is the 10'x30′. This unit grants users access t0 about three hundred square feet of space. This enormous unit effortlessly accommodates all furnishings and major appliances, and furniture of a four-bedroom house. It can also simultaneously house dozens of moving totes and boxes and multiple mattress sets. This unit is so mammoth that it could hold a pickup truck and still have tons of space left over.
For more specific guidance on choosing the self-storage unit size, you may use this free size guide. This size guide allows you to specify exactly what you will be storing. It then recommends the size you should secure.
Self Storage Units As Investment Opportunities
If you aren't in need of a self-storage unit or you're simply looking to expand your investment portfolio, you may be shocked to know that the self-storage industry is a great investment opportunity. A recent review conducted by Forbes Magazine names self-storage as one of the most reliable investments with one of the highest returns on investments. Self-storage has not only solidified its wealth potential as recession-resistant but is also projected to have a compound annual growth rate of approximately 134.79% between 2020 and 2025. Due to these positive outlooks, droves of people are clamoring to find a way to invest in self-storage.
Self-storage has a steady demand which makes it the ideal investment medium. Storage units are currently at 90% capacity, with the national average cost for all unit sizes being $87.89 per month. According to SpareFoot data, indicating the opportunities for potential investments are endless. While growth rates are forecasted to remain consistent, the self-storage industry has a solid track record of a high return on investment, more than most facilities. From the years 2009 to 2018, self-storage facilities averaged an annual return on investment of 16.9%. This figure was notably higher than apartments, retail, office, and industrial spaces during the same period.
If you are in Arkansas or Texas, GreenFill Storage is available to meet your self-storage needs. When it comes to security and practicality GreenFill Storage has you covered.
So, whether you're trying to locate the storage unit that easily stores your items or you're looking to invest, self-storage units are a great choice.
GreenFill Storage Blog